Wednesday

A housewarming gift...

Hey everyone!

Its been a busy past few weeks. A week or so ago my older sister visited because she's off to Tanzania for two months. (Wish her luck!) Right now I'm visiting my alma mater in Rochester, so I haven't had a lot of down time until now.

Before my trip up north, I stayed at my good friends apartment in D.C. I thought I would make her a housewarming gift because she hasn't been living there long... And who doesn't like handmade, useful gifts? Haha.

As you guys probably know, spray painted dollar store dinosaurs are all the rage these days. I'm constantly surfing craftgawker and truebluemeandyou tumblr so I decided to smoosh Spray-painted + Plastic dinosuars + Magnetic paint + Storage rack all together into one final project. Seriously, every element was taken from a different tutorial, this was not at all original haha.

I know chalkboard paint is a lot more popular than magnetic paint... But I hate the sound and I don't like getting the dust everywhere. I know, I'm in the small minority. I really do like the look of chalkboards, it's just not my cup of tea for daily use. Plus for this necklace display I thought it would make more sense to use magnetic paint. This way, my friend can just attach things using magnets.

Anyway, on to what I made!






I used an exacto blade to cut the dinosaurs right at their seams. It made it a lot easier.

The dollar store is the best place to get plastic dinosaurs. I bought a Tyrannosaurus Rex previously from Michaels and it was 5.99 or so and I don't think that it was hollow. Then I stopped by the dollar store and found these babies... I can buy more than enough for the price of one! I'm returning the TREX as soon as I get back lol. Also, I was afraid the ones at the dollar store would be too small for what I wanted to do, but the size was decent.



Then I went outside to spray paint.



This was actually the first time I had ever spray painted. It's awesome, haha, I'm going to have to use it for more projects.



They looked like they were stuck in quicksand... I felt kind of sadistic.



I left them out overnight to dry.



Back to my board. This is just a cheap wooden slab I bought at Michaels. It was maybe 2 bucks? I used Martha Stewarts magnetic paint. It's super thick and I used like half the bottle making this. This is where 40% off coupons come in handy.



After everything was dry I brought in the dinosaurs to see how I wanted to place them. Now this project was a time intensive one because the chalkboard paint needed an hour in between coating and then a day to cure.



I painted over the magnetic paint. I love this mint!



I applied liberal amounts of trusty e6000.






And done!

I was a little skeptical about the magnetic paints but it seemed to work fine,

I think it's a fun, quirky gift. I'll update with photographs this weekend when I go back to see her to show how she is using it!

Thanks for reading!!

UPDATE;


13 comments:

  1. Wow it looks so cool in the end! At first it looked kinda creepy..I mean half chopped up dinosaurs?! Haha. So is the entire board actually magnetic? I can't tell what you used the magnetic paint for :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (: the entire board is magnetic, so she can add notes or photographs to the board. I know right, kind of creepy!!

      Delete
  2. you are a genius! love this and your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! This is such a cool idea! I think I need to make one for my younger sister since she just moved to a new apartment! The dinosaurs are a genius idea! They look like they might be able to hold some keys?! Thinking about it, I might try to find some little antlers!

    <33 Rena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooooh antlers is an awesome idea. I just made one with elephant heads and tree branches for my 17 year old cousins birthday. Yeah, I'm sure it could hold keys!

      Delete
  4. OMG! This is WAY too creative and cute. I love how you turned those masculine dinosaurs into something that's so incredibly feminine and pretty! Definitely going to try this out one day! Have you ever tried making pearl frames or magazine coasters? I saw them on this site (http://lbmgifts.com/store/gift-shop/home-decor) and I'm dying to have them! OR maybe... I'll just buy them. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've never tried, but maybe I will now (:

      Delete
  5. I LOVE THIS!! i must get one. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...